Collège Boréal Declaration on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
We firmly renew our commitment to listening to new and different perspectives and undertaking the actions and changes needed to foster a culture of inclusion, accessibility and responsibility for everyone in matters of human rights. Our Strategic Plan upholds this commitment on several levels: it is reflected in our values (humanism, integrity, respect…), mission, structural elements, areas of focus and general objectives – notably “The organizational culture fosters a healthy and respectful environment.”
We recognize the reality of systemic racism and discrimination, which persist in our society and could arise in our institution. We also recognize the barriers to success faced by under-represented groups with relation to, among other factors, colour, language, citizenship, race, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, physical or intellectual ability, age, family or marital status or financial status.
We expect all of our employees and partners to share our values and to actively contribute to this positive societal transformation in which a commitment to diversity and inclusion is recognized as a responsibility not just of institutions, but individuals as well.
We want to be better. Collège Boréal is currently implementing various strategies and initiatives to continue its institutional development and support members of the Boréal family in their personal development.
To achieve our objectives, we will pursue the following strategies:
- Listen and learn:
- Consult our staff and clients on topics related to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). The college will establish committees for equity, diversity and inclusion to understand the needs of the college community in these areas. All members of the Boréal community, including staff, students and clients, will be invited to participate in these advisory committees and contribute to Collège Boréal’s decisions and initiatives in the area of EDI;
- Consult EDI experts to ensure the efficiency and quality of the activities
stemming from this initiative;
- Identify the college’s current situation in the area of EDI;
- Develop and implement an EDI policy;
- Develop an action plan to reduce systemic barriers to professional advancement, recruitment and job retention for under-represented or disadvantaged groups; and
- Create and implement awareness-raising and training activities in support of EDI for all members of the Boréal family.